Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Steven and the Eternigator

Tuesday we had a really cool opportunity. Previously mentioned mission call/preparing to serve a mission/25 year old Steven went with us as a member present for a lesson with an "eternigator." (eternal investigator). Well! It was awesome! I've never felt so comfortable teaching with someone. I didn't feel worried at all or stressed about covering everything or having all the answers because I knew Steven had my back. He is going to be a great missionary! It turned out to be a great lesson on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. He is now reading the Book of Mormon and there seems to be room for progression! Exciting oh exciting! His name is Don and he is like 70. But nice guy.

District Meeting went well this week. Considering it got rescheduled to Last Monday (as mentioned last week). I had this training on Loving the work/Loving your investigators planned out. But as I was reading my letters (from dad) and the article he sent me about the Gifts of the Spirit, I got the prompting to do the lesson on the individual talents/uniqueness of each missionary in this district and how each of us have different spiritual gifts that will come together to be an amazing district. Sadly, I had about an hour lunch time to figure out the details on this training so I went in super nervous because I like to be a lot more planned out than that. I thought the training was decent but the sisters called me later and were all "thanks for listening to the Spirit because that's exactly what we needed to hear!!" I just told them to thank papa Christensen for sparking the idea in his email to me.

One of my new favorite quotes: "If any of us are imperfect, it is our duty to pray for the gift that will make us perfect. ... No man ought to say, 'Oh, I cannot help this; it is my nature.' He is not justified in it, for the reason that God has promised to give strength to correct these things, and to give gifts that will eradicate them. If a man lack wisdom, it is his duty to ask God for wisdom. The same with everything else. That is the design of God concerning His Church. He wants His Saints to be perfected in the truth. For this purpose He gives these gifts, and bestows them upon those who seek after them, in order that they may be a perfect people upon the face of the earth"
(Millennial Star, 23 Apr. 1894, 260). (Feb 2002 Ensign: Gifts of the Spirit)

I know that this is not exactly what it's trying to say but I like that quote because it reminds me not to simply give up and say it is not my nature when I'm not naturally gifted in a specific task. But to seek out the knowledge to improve and to be better. Luckily, I live in the time period where that knowledge is at my fingertips. I can easily seek it out, learn and improve. (Google for the win!)

Wednesday we went to a dairy farm to help for service. We got a tour of the farm. Only ended up helping feed the baby calves for like 2 minutes then left. It was fun! But... I like the city. I also decided Betsey was the name of half the cows. And I got licked. Cow tongue might as well be sandpaper. I was tempted to sarcastically mention McDonalds to all the cows.

Yoplait Yogurt in a giant tub. Check it out. I don't know if it's actually beneficial to eat but it's great for snacking. It's my new discovery. I also decided to buy peppers this week. Honestly had no idea what I was doing with them. So I chopped them up and threw them in with my eggs. Turned out pretty decent.

I guess I've been on a kick here in Canandaigua about eating more healthy and exercising. There are weights here in the apartment and a pull up bar. Between buying the healthier food, being fed a ton and exercising, I feel pretty great physically! Even if my companion bruises me up while moving furniture (he isn't exactly an expert on lifting heavy things up stairs. Oh well. We forgive him). Definitely helps stay way positive when you're feeling healthy. Multivitamins as well!

While meeting at McDonalds to use their wifi to help Adam put in his mission application, I went up to buy a drink and the lady mentioned "Wow! You're quite cheery." I just mentioned that life is much better when you're openly optimistic. Then it was mentioned I was a missionary. Nothing came of it, but hopefully a seed was planted!

It's been an interesting week full of service. We helped a Less Active Member finish painting and fixing up his house then helped him move in Saturday morning. Sadly, he now lives outside of our ward boundaries. But he was really nice and it was a fun experience. There is something really enticing about the idea of buying a fixer upper house or at least renovating. It just seems like fun! Except painting. I'm too much of a perfectionist to paint. I tend to get way to nervous that it doesn't look perfect.

Well... We hit 50 degrees on Friday. Sooo nice! Then it snowed 6-8 inches Sunday morning. Yep. Still winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment