Sunday, October 12, 2014

#LDSConf

It's getting cold. :( Winter is coming. We've decided that there isn't the normal 4 seasons in NY. It's simply Pre-Winter, Winter, Post-Winter, construction. Which is super true. It's cold and preparing for winter. Then it's freezing cold and snowy Winter. Then It's post winter where it's cold and randomly snows but then starts to let a couple trees bloom. Then there is this small 3 weeks where it is warm enough to fix roads. Then it's back to the winter cycle. There was barely any heat this summer!


Fall is here.
 Have I mentioned that I'm addicting to incense? I originally went out and bought a candle because I was sick of smelly apartments and our neighbor enjoys his weed. But found out that candles suck. So I got some incense which $1 of incense goes a long way. I love it. Smells great!

I'm going to make an Encyclopedia Entry:

Mormons: (See also, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) Mormons are a Christian group who believe that Jesus Christ's church has been restored through a modern prophet. They only have one wife each. Not to be confused with Jehovah Witnesses.  Maybe that will clear up some confusion.

This week on Wednesday we are going into Pittsford to watch Meet The Mormons. Yay. A movie! And then next Monday we will be going into Palmyra to a Specialized Training with some area 70 that I've never heard of before. He is doing a Mission Tour. Which the two trips are going to take almost 1/5 of our miles for the month. That'll add for an interesting curveball.

Been a slow week. Joni who we were meeting with when I first got to Greece (who seemed so promising) we are officially dropping because she keeps canceling. Another Less Active Member who we were trying to meet with and teach her boyfriend, keeps canceling. It's got to the point where she will literally cancel before we've even set the appointment with her. That has been rough to try and get in. Our Gladys Knight referrals are looking a lot less promising as a majority of them were just interested in the CD. No further news on the lady who wants to take us to her church (probably to anti us). We'll see where that goes. Hopefully, we can teach her before that happens. Another one of the Less Active Member that we work with just moved into a new apartment in the other Elder's area. So we are slowly losing our people to teach ha! One of our Less Active Members did come to Priesthood session! That was great! He brought some food for the potluck before.

Conference soda from the Drive-Thru Soda place.
One of the interesting things about Conference as a missionary is you recognize the boldness of the General Authorities as they speak. You hear some things and think "WOW! That was bold. Someone is going to get offended over that."

Saturday's sessions seemed to be quite the calling to repentance for the church members. "Lord, is it I?", Stop judging, love one another, Don't rationalize!, etc etc.

Sunday's session seemed to be soooo focused on sustaining the prophets and apostles. It was interesting. We were half expecting to hear something new come out about the church. But it makes sense as the world's views of things keep drifting farther and farther from the Church's standards and God's commandments. So we have to sustain and follow the prophet!

I do have to say, it was nice to take advantage of being one of those iPad missionaries. Typing notes for Conference is sooooo much better than writing them. I can get the quotes and the notes done really quick and I don't miss anything. Instead of writing something down and then realizing he is on a whole other topic.

District photo at the pier.
This week also was a bit of a trial on my physical health. Nothing too bad. But my knee keeps acting up and I've had a constant headache for two weeks now. Fun stuff. Super fun stuff.

Random story from 3 weeks ago or so that I forgot to mention but I thought was pretty funny: So we are stopping by Walmart. We had to snag something (I can't remember) and it was late (8:30pm). So it's dark. As we get out of the car, in the corner of my eye, I notice two girls in the car next to us start laughing. Which I kind of just ignored as it happens a lot (Thank you Book of Mormon Musical). I am grabbing a Book of Mormon out of the trunk to carry with me around the store and the others start to walk ahead of me. As I turn to start walking, once again out of the corner of my eye, I notice that the laughing girls grabbed their phone. It was pointed at me. Well, I walked right into the blindspot of her seat so when I came back into view and she shifted positions to record/take a photo, I turned and gave the "hang loose" sign at them, making sure they knew I noticed them recording. I felt quite satisfied as I walked into Walmart. This was just 2 days after Dunkin Donuts employees were laughing at us walking by and taking picture through the Drive Through window.

Former comp (Bracken Allen) at the USU game.

No comments:

Post a Comment